Tuesday 26 February 2019

BRIDGES TO RELATIONSHIPS: Facts or Assumptions Written by Dr. Esther Adenike Luogon


  CHAPTER ONE

In this chapter attention shall be directed at chains of relationships that exist among friends. It deals with issues of lack of trust between friends; communication gaps between lovers; delays in making one’s intention known to an opposite sex and problems relating to pre-marital sexual relationships. A number of assumptions are made here that almost ruin healthy relationships, but for the unfolding of truth as portrayed in each story. See the following comments:
“He does not like seeing other guys around me…It’s getting on my nerves these days.”
“ If I do not allow him to have sex with me, he will severe the relationship”
 “He does not call me on telephone regularly as he used to do, he must have lost interest in this relationship.”

Story I

“He does not like seeing other guys around me.
  He would always ask, And who is that fellow?
  It is as if he is witch hunting me. 
  I am fed up with his attention.
  It’s getting on my nerves these days.”

 At a University campus in Nigeria, Lucy and Betty met as room-mates and they became the best of friends. Interestingly, both of them were studying architecture. There was this boy, Dale by name, who had been coming around to visit the girls. One beautiful day, Lucy opened up a discussion with Betty. Aren’t you lucky girl, to have got a guy who is that interested in you? I think Dale is in love with you and I will advise you not to miss such a good guy. Among the guys we relate with on this campus, he is one in a million. Ah! Lucy, stop exaggerating. It is as if Dale has bribed you or something. You have suddenly become his public relations officer of late. Is he paying you for the job? Which job? Lucy asked. But let us face the truth Betty, that guy is falling heads and heels over you. You dare not disappoint him.

Betty asked Lucy an obvious question. Did Dale confide in you that he has asked for my hand in marriage or what? Have I received an engagement ring from him, or why is he policing me all about the campus?
He does not like seeing other guys around me. He would always ask, ‘And who is that fellow?’ It is as if he is witch hunting me. I am fed up with his attention. It’s getting on my nerves these days.
If he is interested, let him speak up. Lucy, I am not in the picture of this stage you seem to be setting for him. I know he is our friend, but is there anything more to this friendship? What is the essence of hiding your feelings from a lady if you truly love her? Instead of explaining to Betty the discussion she had earlier on had with Dale, Lucy just told her friend, Betty, make sure you do not miss this golden opportunity. Let’s get ready for lectures.

A week before Lucy had her last discussion with Betty she had met Dale at the cafeteria and they began to talk about campus life. While the discussion was still on, Lucy suddenly changed the topic. Dale, when are you people bringing us together to celebrate the D-day? Surprised, Dale asked Lucy, what do you mean? What celebration are you referring to? Don’t play safe Dale. I mean you and Betty. Almost stammering, Dale asked, ‘what did Betty tell you? Did she tell you that we are engaged?’ Lucy, talk to me, she is your friend. Has she confided in you that she likes me and would love to live the rest of her life with me? Lucy kept quiet. After a while she broke the silence. Dale, I am very sorry to have embarrassed you. But the way and manner I see you guard against all unwanted guests around Betty, I simply drew the conclusion that you are in love with her.

Lucy, you don’t have to apologize. I think this is a blessing in disguise. To be honest with you I am in deep love with your friend, but I am so afraid to tell her this. Are you not a man? Men are known to be bold and courageous. But you seem to belong to the category of those few that have no spine, Dale. That’s o.k. Lucy, let us go back to serious talk. But do you think Betty loves me? Will she accept to give me her hand in marriage? Is she fond of me Lucy? She remained silent. I am afraid she could give me a cold shoulder, so I put my feelings on hold. Dale waited for Lucy to respond. Lucy put up a satisfying smile, stretched out her hand to Dale and said, ‘Let me have my reward right away for assisting you to allay your fears.’ Dale shrugged off his shoulder and said, ‘O.k.’
You know Betty is my friend Dale. We talk heart-to heart. She is in ...

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment